My son and I are wannabe-foodies. We share an interest in creating new recipes and definitely do a lot of our bonding in the kitchen. He loves to help me meal plan, shop and cook. (I’m training him well, ladies! haha!)
On occasion, we will plan “themed” weeks. This week is “vegetarian”, something he’s been wanting to do for awhile. Having given up red meat for Lent, this was a perfect time to give it a try.
Tonight we decided on Portobello Mushroom Burgers with goat cheese. They are so easy and quick. The mushroom is the perfect size to replace a burger patty and if you are a mushroom fan, you’ll love these!
- Portobello Mushroom Caps (1 per person)
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Cheese (we used herbed goat cheese but you can replace it with your favourite)
- Salt & Pepper
- Buns (we like Udi’s Gluten Free Hamburger Buns)
- Optional toppings: Tomato, lettuce, onions… whatever you enjoy.
- Marinate mushroom caps in some oil & vinegar while prepping & preheating oven
- Cover baking pan in foil. Spray foil with cooking spray or lightly coat with oil.
- Place mushroom caps on pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Broil until soft & brown (approximately 10 mins), round side up to allow juices to drain.
- Place your cheese on top of mushroom and broil for another couple of minutes (until cheese is bubbling)
- Remove from oven and serve on bun with your favourite toppings.
I definitely only recommend using goat cheese if you are a fan. Otherwise, stick to a cheese you are more familiar with. If I had more time, I would have added caramelized onions. I’ve had them on mushroom burgers before and they are a great addition.
xo – J